Branded products catalogue – how important?
After 50 years, Argos announced that the iconic ‘catalogue of dreams’ is to cease publication. In future, products can be found on-line or in store and browsing an Argos paper catalogue at leisure is no more. The end of a much-loved retail phenomenon.
At Something Different we still produce and send out hundreds of catalogues even though we too have a superb on-line catalogue. Indeed, our on line offer is over 10 times bigger than the traditional catalogue. So why do we still go to the expense? Here are a few reasons;
- Searching on line is very good when you know what you are looking for. But finding fresh ideas can be tricky. The catalogue can be inspirational and a chosen item can then be searched for on line where there will be more options.
- Ideas can be marked with page markers for fast reference or for discussion with colleagues.
- Often purchasing or marketing departments are asked for ideas and handing over a catalogue can be a very quick solution.
- Sometimes products are bought infrequently and people forget the supplier. The catalogue is the reminder.
- If someone leaves a department, the catalogue often remains to help the new buyer.
- People new to Something Different via an enquiry or exhibition have a reminder that we are there to help.
- If we take over another company as we did with Autograph Promotions recently we can use the catalogue to re-inforce the ‘business as usual’ message.
Will we ever discontinue our catalogue? It’s hard to say, and we will be guided by our customers and certainly every year we ask people if they would like a copy of the next one.
The quantity reduces every year, but not by as much as you might imagine!